Can you help me secure a visa to visit, study and/or work in North America?

Any visa-related inquiries should be directed to the U.S. Consulate General in Belfast. If you are an American citizen looking to study and/or work in Northern Ireland, please direct all inquiries to the British Embassy of Washington.

We are visiting Washington soon, can you get us into the White House?

The Bureau is unable to arrange White House tours. The White House website asks foreign citizens interested in a tour to contact their embassy. However, the U.S. Department of State requires that all visitors be accompanied by a very senior diplomat. Unfortunately, due to time and resource constraints, the British Embassy cannot accommodate tour requests.

You may wish to consider a tour of the U.S. Capitol Building, where visitors can make tour reservations up to three months in advance or obtain same-day passes. Passports or other forms of ID are not required for entry into the U.S. Capitol. You can also book a Pentagon Tour. Non-U.S. nationals will need to submit the British Embassy’s address instead of their home address. Further assistance regarding the online booking process should be directed to the Pentagon Tour Office: +1 (703) 697-1776. You can also take a virtual tour of the White House.

Do you have any job openings?

The Bureau is an annex of the British Embassy of Washington. As such, any current job openings are posted directly to the Embassy website. You must have a legal right to work in the United States to be eligible for employment with the British Embassy.

Does the Bureau sponsor artistic endeavours (i.e. gallery exhibitions, music showcases, film screenings, etc.)?

Although we are unable to offer financial support for costs associated with travel, accommodation, or subsistence, we are able to help in a number of other ways, including: (1) facilitating meetings with local arts organizations; (2) scouting potential venues; and (3) hosting and/or part-sponsoring New York or Washington-based events. If you have any questions associated with a specific request, please contact us directly.

I’m interested in an internship with the Bureau, how do I apply?

We currently only offer summer internships for students from Northern Ireland as part of a partnership arrangement with the Washington Ireland Program. However, the British Embassy of Washington regularly offers seasonal internships via their website.

I’m a Northern Ireland student looking to study in North America, can you help with funding?

The Bureau does not offer funding for overseas study. However, the Fulbright Commission offers a comprehensive guide for U.K.-based students interested in studying in the United States at the undergraduate or graduate level.

My school group is visiting Washington for the first time, could we come in for a briefing?

The Bureau is happy to host visiting school groups for informal briefings and educational sessions. Please contact us directly to arrange a time.

Can you help me trace my ancestry?

The best source for information related to ancestry or family history is the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland. You can also contact the Ulster Historical Foundation or the Ulster-Scots Agency.